Alain Charles Veloso is a partner of Quisumbing Torres' Corporate & Commercial Practice Group. He heads the firm's Capital Markets Practice Group and is a member of the Competition Focus Group. He is also a member of the Technology, Media & Telecommunications and Industrials, Manufacturing & Transportation Industry Groups. He has 14 years of legal practice, advising several investment banks, funds, and multinational corporations with regard to their transactions in the Philippines, including private and public M&A transactions, debt, and equity capital markets transactions, and structuring and establishment of their Philippine presence, as applicable. Charles is also developing the Firm's fintech practice, and handles various clients that are currently engaged in online travel, retail, financing, medical health, and insurance businesses in the Philippines.
Charles actively participates in the firm's Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives. He heads the firm's Diversity & Inclusion and B-Green committees in Manila. He was a former Director of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) Makati Chapter, and currently serves as Auditor and Chairperson of the Legal Education Committee. He has been recognized as External Counsel of the Year in Asia by The Asian-MENA In-House Community Counsels in 2019, and cited as a Next Generation Lawyer for Corporate and M&A by Legal 500 for 2017 and 2018. He was also a 2018 Bench and Bar Awardee of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines' Leyte Chapter for his legal achievements. More recently, he was awarded Young Lawyer of the Year by Asian Legal Business Philippine Law Awards 2020 and as a Leading Individual in Capital Markets by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 to 2021.
Charles studied EU Competition Law at the London School of Economics and Political Science in 2017 (highest grade). He is also a Certified Public Accountant.
Charles has represented various companies engaged in the energy, power generation, infrastructure, mining and natural resources, real estate and construction, healthcare and pharmaceuticals, retail and distribution, manufacturing, business process outsourcing, information technology and telecommunications, fintech, and advertising industries. He has assisted several multinational companies in connection with the set-up, structuring, and maintenance of their Philippine operations, including advising them on legal and regulatory issues, contract review, and negotiation of joint venture agreements with local partners. He also handles the registration of companies with the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and other government agencies. Charles also handles the review and implementation of stock-based incentives of several multinational corporations with presence in the Philippines. He also handles corporate maintenance for a publicly-listed company, and companies with secondary licenses.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise a diversified, multinational supplier of engineered materials, natural resources and technology-based services. and a global producer of hydrocolloid products in connection with the following matters that it proposes to undertake, among others: (i) sale of the carrageenan (CMC) business (ii) structuring and preliminary legal due diligence, (iii) negotiation and drafting of a term sheet or memorandum of understanding , (iv) legal advice on the notification to or approval of the Philippine Competition Commission, and (v) drafting of contracts, agreements and documentation for divestment documents.
- Assist a global general trading company in connection with its proposed minority equity investment and joint venture in a Philippine agribusiness corporation.
- Assist a German multinational financial services company in the acquisition of a controlling interest from a major Philippine commercial bank's life insurance business in the Philippines, including assisting in drafting agreements, negotiating transaction documents of the seller, implementing the transaction in the Philippines, and reviewing the transaction in light of the newly-passed Philippine Competition Act.
- Advise a global online technology platform company on the following matters: (I) legal issues in connection with its activities and operations in the Philippines, (ii) structure of its entity in the Philippines, (iii) legal requirements in connection with client's activities and operations in the Philippines, and (iv) review of the terms and conditions of the contractual arrangements for the operations in the Philippines.
- Assist an American pharmaceuticals and health care products company in the (a) sale to a top real estate property developer of (i) the client’s equity in a Philippine company that owns the land on which the client’s facility was situated , (ii) the client’s building and related improvements and accessories, and (b) termination of the lease between the client and the company that owns the land.
- Advise a Taiwan-listed company on issues relating to the re-development of the assets of a Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)-listed corporation (i) the lawfulness of the client’s holding structure in the Philippine company (ii) client’s potential risk exposure to the current holding structure and future holding structure (after converting the Restructure Debts to equity), (iii) legality of the proposed Preferred Shares, (iv) whether client can validly exercise the rights attached to the Preferred Shares and lawfully retain control of a property in Laguna, Philippines (v) the likelihood of the Philippine corporation resuming and retaining trading status.
- Advise one of the world’s biggest pension funds that controls assets worth USD 300 billion in connection with its subscription of shares in the country's oldest conglomerate. Completed the transaction which involved the subscription of newly issued shares and the listing of the shares in the Philippine Stock Exchange.
- Assist an international development finance institution in a disaster risk financing project in the Philippines that involves the creation of a parametric insurance pool for cities, which is the first of its kind in the world.
- Advise and assist an Asian oil and gas company in the competition-law aspects of the sale (by public auction) of its LPG business and related landholding company in the Philippines, including advising on gun-jumping, information exchange, and assistance in obtaining merger clearance for the transaction.
- Assist a major Philippine conglomerate in connection with its internal competition law compliance initiatives, including audit and risk assessment, competition compliance training, and preparation of a competition law compliance manual and guidelines that covers all aspects of the client's operations, and all 3 pillars of competition law: agreements, dominance, and M&As.
Leading Individual for Capital Markets, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2020 to 2021
Next Generation Lawyer for Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2017 to 2018
Young Lawyer of the Year, ALB Philippine Law Awards, 2019
External Counsel of the Year - Asia, Asian-mena In-house Community Counsel Survey, 2019
Finalist, Young Lawyer of the Year, Asian Legal Business Southeast Asia Law Awards, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Auditor and Chairperson of the Legal Education Committee, Makati Chapter
International Bar Association
Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Financial Executives Institute of the Philippines (FINEX) - Committee member
London School of Economics and Political Science (EU Competition Law) (2017)
University of the Philippines (LL.B. cum laude and class valedictorian) (2006)
University of the Philippines (B.S. Accountancy cum laude and class salutatorian) (2001)
Author, Various client alerts on Competition law and M&A, Quisumbing Torres, 2015-2018
Contributor, " Financial and Business Crime," Thomson Reuters: Practical Law, 2018
Co-author, "A Regional Comparison of Competition Law," Asia Business Law Journal, 2017
Speaker, Asia Pacific Competition Group Internal Training on Philippine Competition Law (Manila) 2017
Speaker, Asian Legal Business, Philippine Competition Summit (Manila) 2016