Dennis Quintero heads the Energy, Mining & Infrastructure Industry Group of Quisumbing Torres, a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International. He is a partner in the firm’s Corporate & Commercial / M&A Practice Group and the Financial Institutions Industry Group. Dennis is also a Certified Public Accountant.
Dennis has been in the A-List of the Top 100 lawyers in the Philippines since its inaugural year in 2018. He has also been cited as a Market Leader for M&A and Project Finance in the energy, mining, natural resources, and oil & gas sectors by the IFLR 1000: Financial and Corporate Guide. In addition, IFLR recognized him as one of Asia's Best Lawyers for Energy and infrastructure, M&A, and Project finance. Dennis is consistently ranked as a leading individual for Corporate and M&A, and Hall of Fame for Projects and Energy by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. He is a leading individual for Projects, Infrastructure, and Energy by Chambers Global and the Asia Pacific. He was named Distinguished Practitioner for Energy and Infrastructure by asialaw Leading Lawyers. More recently, he is recognized by Lexology Client Choice Awards 2022 for M&A.
Dennis advises clients on cross-border acquisitions of shares/assets as well as on structuring investments and divestments in a range of industries (including conventional and renewable energy, upstream and downstream oil and gas, mining, infrastructure/construction/Public Private Partnership projects/Official Development Assistance (foreign government grant) funded projects, financial services) . He advises clients in joint venture negotiations and agreements, project development, project finance, corporate structuring, negotiations with the national and local governments for project consent requirements, and regulatory matters. He also advises clients in the fields of financial services regulations (insurance, banking, insurtech, fintech, electronic money, remittance and transfer services, payment systems).
Representative Legal Matters
- Act for Korea Water Resources Corporation, a major Korean company engaged in comprehensive water resource development and providing both public and industrial water in South Korea, on matters relating to the project company’s Concession Agreement with the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System for the Bulacan Bulk Water Supply project under the Philippine PPP program, drafting and negotiation of technical service agreements, joint venture agreement with a Philippine conglomerate, and accession agreement to an omnibus loan and security agreement with a consortium of Philippine banks.
- Advise one of the largest banks in Korea and the investment banking arm of another large Korean bank in respect of its investments in and the structuring of project company that will construct and operate a waste incineration plant.
- Advise Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development, a Japanese government corporation that provides financial support and expertise for overseas infrastructure businesses on transaction structuring (joint venture) in relation to its partnership with the Bases Conversion and Development Authority for the Clark Green City and the Clark Rail Transit System projects.
- Advise Galoc Production Company, an oil exploration services company on commercial and regulatory matters in relation to its interests and duties as operator for the Galoc oil field project and other petroleum services contracts in the exploration stage.
- Advise Hero Future Energies Asia Pte. Ltd., one of the leading independent power producers in the renewable energy sector based in India with regional offices in Singapore, in connection with the proposed joint venture with a Philippine company for the development of a solar power project in Northern Philippines. Advise on deal structuring and transaction documentation, including investment agreement, shareholders agreement, power sales agreement with distribution utility, and land due diligence.
- Assist SK Engineering & Construction Co. and Seohee Construction Co. Ltd., two engineering and construction companies from South Korea in connection with the proposed Quezon Coal-Fired Thermal Plant Project.
- Advise Bluebird Merchant Ventures in respect of its investments in Egerton Gold, a Philippine gold mining company, in contractual matters and engagement with the national and local government. Assist client in preparing the response to a show cause letter from the former Secretary of the Philippine Department of Environment and Natural Resources ("DENR") (which has since been removed from office) on the matter of the mining project allegedly being situated in a watershed area.
- Advise a Philippines-based nickel industry organization in respect of its position paper to be submitted to the House of Representatives relating to the bill proposing a legislative franchise for mining operations.
- Advise BNP Paribas on the completed project financing of a gold mine on Masbate Island, Philippines and in the conduct of a legal due diligence of the project.
- Advise a global financial advisory company on the Deed of Assignment by Way of Security between client and a leading Philippine mining company, including review of the Deed of Amendment and the Loan and Hedging Facilities Agreement in relation to a Minerals Production Sharing Agreement.
- Advise a China-based manufacturer of copper products in respect of the due diligence investigation and transaction advice (share purchase agreement and shareholders agreement) for the acquisition of substantial interests in one of the largest undeveloped copper-gold projects in the Philippines.
- Advise a gaming and integrated entertainment complex operator on a completed project financing from a leading Philippine bank for the construction of client’s integrated entertainment complex in the Philippines.
- Advise Allianz, a German financial services company, in the completed acquisition of a controlling interest in Philippine National Bank, a major Philippine commercial bank's life insurance business in the Philippines.
- Assist the first bank in China to be owned mostly by non-government enterprises, as the lender in the Omnibus Loan and Security Agreement with a telecommunications company in the Philippines, as the borrower.
- Advise and assist an ASEAN Singapore-based technology company that offers ride-hailing and logistics services through its app on the general legal framework of the Philippine e-payment industry including licensing requirements, registration process, and other issues. Assist in the establishment of a financing company in the Philippines.
- Advise a Singapore-based fintech company in respect of the potential establishment of a Philippine entity that will provide digital banking services in the Philippines. Advice include matters relating to financial regulations, licensing and regulatory requirements, including anti money laundering regulations, data privacy, and compliance obligations that would apply to its business activities.
- Represent a Canadian multinational insurance company and financial services provider on administrative enforcement case filed by the Philippine Competition Commission for alleged violation of the provisions of the Philippine Competition Act on vertical anti-competitive restraints.
Leading Individual for Corporate and M&A, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014 to 2023
Hall of Fame for Projects and Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2021 to 2023
Leading Individual for Projects and Energy, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2014 to 2020
Band 2, Leading Lawyer for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Global, 2022
Band 3, Leading Lawyer for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2020 to 2021
Band 2, Leading Lawyer for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2018 to 2019, 2022 to 2023
Band 3, Leading Lawyer for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Global, 2020
Band 2, Leading Lawyer for Projects, Infrastructure & Energy, Chambers Global, 2018 to 2019
Distinguished Practitioner for Energy, asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2020 to 2022
Distinguished Practitioner for Infrastructure, asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2020 to 2022
A-List Lawyer, The Philippines' Top 100 Lawyers, Asia Business Law Journal, 2018 to 2022
Market Leader for Energy and Infrastructure, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2022
Market Leader for Project Finance, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2022
Market Leader for M&A, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2022
Asia Best Lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure, M&A and Project Finance, IFLR1000, 2019 to 2022
Awardee, Client Choice Awards for M&A, Lexology, 2022
Professional Associations and Memberships
Philippines-Australia Business Council - Chairman
Enactus Philippines - Corporate Secretary
International Bar Association - Member, Section on Energy, Environment, Natural Resources and Infrastructure Law
Chamber of Mines of the Philippines - Member, Legal Committee
Australian Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA) - Founding Committee Member, Singapore Branch
Australian Resources and Energy Law Association (AMPLA)
Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
Philippine Mining and Exploration Association
Philippine Mine Safety and Exploration Association
Australia-New Zealand Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Korean Chamber of Commerce of the Philippines
Integrated Bar of the Philippines (Laguna) - Director
Philippine Mineral Reporting Code Committee - Member (representing the Philippines Australia Business Council)/Membership Committee Head
University of the Philippines (LLB Order of the Purple Feather Honor Society)
University of the Philippines (BS Business Administration and Accountancy cum laude)