Workplaces have changed as a result of the pandemic. Companies are confronting major business challenges in regard to their most essential asset – their people – from an increased focus on health and safety to shifting to permanent or indefinite remote employment to preparing for business change.
Quisumbing Torres' Employment Practice Group hosted their annual Employment Law Review with the theme "Covid-19 and Beyond," with the goal of helping organizations evolve and innovate working practices to future-proof their business in light of the pandemic.
The sessions covered the most prevalent issues seen with clients over the last year that are still relevant today and in the foreseeable future. Topics covered:
- Employment Law Considerations for Reopening the Workplace
- Remote Work: Key Considerations When Designing a Forever Program
- Cost-Cutting Strategies in the Wake of COVID-19
- COVID-19 Employment Litigation: What's on the Minds of Employers and Litigators?
Key takeaways for employers include:
- Develop and implement workplace safety and prevention strategies (i.e., occupancy limits, testing, vaccination, etc.). ]
- Formulate and execute programs that meet business needs and comply with legal requirements, particularly in the promulgation of policies for those physically reporting to the office, as well as for those on alternative work arrangements.
- Install measures toward the sustainability of the business, including cost-cutting strategies. Ensure plans and programs address the risk of employment litigation, to enable employers to focus on sustaining the business.
The discussion was opened by QT Employment Partner Gil Zerrudo and presented by QT's Employment Associates Patrick Salazar, Marianne Ko-Tibayan and Rosalyn Anuncio. Employment Partner Eliseo Zuñiga, Jr., who also heads the firm's Dispute Resolution Practice Group, participated in the Q&A portion of the session and delivered the closing remarks. The virtual event was held last 19 January 2022.
QT's Employment Practice Group is consistently recognized Band 1 by Chambers Asia Pacific.
Watch the recording: